Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Extra Curricular Activities


Some of our TBI and Beit Sefer Families are participating in the Jewish Federation's Production of In the Beginning.   The musical tells the story of a tribe who are present throughout the stories of the Bible, but whose stories are never told.  


 I visited a rehearsal last week so I could get some fun photos of our the TBI members who are helping to tell this story.   I have heard the entire musical now three times (one early reading, one rehearsal, and one show) and can't help but reflect on how the Torah is presented.  

I don't prefer to see God  anthropomorphized as a cosmically powerful old man.   While this is a common image of God, it is far from the more sophisticated theology I aspire towards at Beit Sefer.  Jewish scholars and philosophers have given us many other suggestions as to how relate to a sense of the divine in the universe.   On the other hand, the show is a playful take on this common image of God, and the message of free will, friendship and forgiveness is woven in a clever way that invokes a sense of midrash - creating interpretation from the Torah. 



No comments:

Post a Comment