Sunday, May 3, 2015

Big Sunday Reflections

It is because I know how busy families can be, and how many things take priority in a family's life that I was especially touched by the parent response and the items donated for Big Sunday.   It takes a lot of time and energy for me to coordinate the event.  Therefore, each time a parent offered to provide a supply or help with an item, I felt uplifted, the burden lighter and the work easier.   
I appreciated the support and affirmation that this event matters to our community, not just to myself.   All the items for the lemonade stand, the rainbow bracelets, the lunch making (except for the decorating cookies), the note card station and the food for the volunteers was donated.   In addition, we received a lot of clothing, toiletries and non-perishable food items to distribute to local charities.  


A conversation with a teacher today humbled, in my eyes, our efforts at Tikkun Olam, (Repairing the World). We are limited to giving one person one thing at one time, but we can't change their circumstances.  We aren't creating social change, and the bracelet, meal, card, flowerpot etc. will soon be gone and not worth very much in the scope of the recipient's life.   Even so, I take hope that together, we will have made a gesture to recipients of the lunches, the cookies, the note cards, the flower pots, the cut out pictures, etc. that shows we care, that they are not alone in the world.   By doing this work together, we will also have opened our hearts and taught ourselves that we can give at least a little.  Each time we give a little, I hope we grow the possibility to give more in the future. 

1 comment:

  1. A comment from Linda: The cut out pictures we did for FreeArts.org have the potential to improve people's lives significantly. The motto of FreeArts is "Art Heals." The children and families, who will be using the cut out pictures, will under the guidance of trained people who are mentoring them. Changing perceptions and interactions for the better through the collage art projects using the cut out pictures can heal hearts, minds and lives. I'm going to continue doing the mitzvah of cutting out pictures for FreeArts.org while I'm watching TV at home.
    - Morah Linda

    ReplyDelete